The Council of Governments' (COG) Department of Transportation Planning is seeking a Transportation Planner III for the Planning Data and Technical Services team. The successful candidate for this position will play a key role in the processing and analysis of data for transportation planning studies and the presentation of technical reports and policy-oriented information reports to Transportation Planning Board (TPB) and COG committees and subcommittees.
The Transportation Planner III will:
- Process and analyze demographic, economic, land use, transportation and spatially referenced data for use in transportation planning studies.
- Develop specialized analytic methods and forecasting techniques for transportation and land use studies and plan evaluations.
- Write and prepare memoranda, technical and policy-oriented information reports.
- Make oral and graphic presentations of data, issues, findings and recommendations to TPB and COG committees and subcommittees.
- Prepare agendas, other materials and minutes for committee and subcommittee meetings.
- Participate in the planning, conduct, processing and analysis of transportation surveys.
- Modify and execute computer programs to process and analyze Census, travel survey, and other transportation planning data.
- Coordinate and work with federal, state, local and regional transportation agencies to obtain travel survey, traffic count, transit ridership, and transportation facility data for the Regional Transportation Data Clearinghouse.
- Respond to requests for information, data and technical reports from federal, state, local and regional transportation agencies, consultants and citizens.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelorís or a Masterís degree (preferred) in Transportation Planning, Urban Planning, Public Policy, Political Science, Economics, Statistics or a related field and minimum three years of applicable experience.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of planning and/or public policy.
- Knowledge of research methods, statistical and forecasting techniques, economics, and geographical analysis.
- Skill in analyzing Census, survey, land use and transportation data.
- Proficiency in the use of spreadsheet, database and statistical analysis software (SAS preferred).
- Some experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS), analysis of GPS data and web-based software is also desirable.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook).
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely.
- Ability to speak and write effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, public officials and the general public.
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered.